TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - An empty house in the Boyolali Regency - which is said to be haunted - has been made into a temporary Covid-19 quarantine facility for those who violate the ‘mudik ban’ or ban on Eid homecoming this year. The house located in the area of Dukuh Piji was specifically set by the Sidomulyo Village Administration.
The local rural administration has started to use this strategy to deter its residents - who currently reside in major cities - from returning home and potentially bringing with them the coronavirus.
Village leader Moh. Sawali on Thursday said that the house has already accommodated at least two people who traveled to the village.
“There are two people quarantined in the house at this moment,” said Sawali to Antara on April 29.
This policy was implemented following the finding of a Covid-19 case after residents returning home from coronavirus-stricken regions to celebrate the Eid al-Fitr holidays. This act of mass-exodus in Indonesia is often called ‘mudik.’
The village leader had already warned its residents to postpone their mudik and required anyone entering the village to present an official Covid-19-free health report.
One person from Tangerang, Banten - who is currently quarantined in the haunted house, Fajar Adi Nugroho, admitted that he regreted coming home for this year’s Eid celebration.