TEMPO.CO, Yogyakarta - Yogyakarta Governor Sultan Hamengkubuwono X is being urged to provide security guarantees to students from outside Yogyakarta in the aftermath of the Sleman Penitentiary attack. In the incident, four people from East Nusa Tenggara were shot.
"We implore the Sultan to immediately act and provide security to students from outside Yogyakarta," chairman of Yogyakarta's Muhammadiyah Student Association, M. Zulfikar Abduh, said on Monday, March 25.
The association said the killing of four prisoners could have a wider impact, "Yogyakarta should be identified as an area with a high sense of security for its citizens. The city’s image is clearly disturbed by the incident," he said.
People of East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) studying in Yogyakarta have been living in fear following the break-in and shooting at Cebongan Penitentiary in Sleman. So far, no security measures have been taken in student housing and dormitories. Students from East Nusa Tenggara are mostly living in Tambak Bayan, Babarsari.
Nurlaila Usman, a cousin of one of the victims, Adrianus Candra Galaga aka Dedi, said that students from East Nusa Tenggara recently received threats via text messages. "We are traumatized. There have been threats and some friends won't even go outside," she said.
A resident from East Nusa Tenggara who refused to be named said there have been text messages saying there will be a "raid" of East Nusa Tenggara residents. Some people are hiding in fear, while others have returned to their hometowns.
PRIBADI WICAKSONO | SHINTA MAHARANI