MRT Jakarta Claims International Funding Support to Continue Mega Project
30 June 2022 21:58 WIB
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - City-owned mass transportation firm MRT Jakarta is currently pushing for sources of funding from the private sector and claimed to have attracted interest from companies based in the UK, France, and South Korea.
MRT president director William Sabandar on Thursday said the company needs at least Rp200 trillion to complete the project’s phase 3, stretching from Cikarang to Balaraja, and phase 4 from Fatmawati to Taman Mini (TMII). The funding will be from the government and private sector.
"The East-West route is sought not only by the government. Our calculation for funding is 60 percent from the government and 40 percent from the private sector," said William in the MRT Jakarta press conference in Central Jakarta on June 30.
Later on, the integrated railway will be connected to Ancol, Taman Mini Indonesia Indah, West Java, and Banten. So far, MRT Jakarta has only operated its phase 1 section connecting Lebak Bulus Station to HI Roundabout Station.
The financing of the MRT second phase, from Harmoni to Ancol, was obtained from a Japanese company, JICA. Currently, the total temporary commitment that has been pocketed is Rp22.5 trillion.
William mentioned the possibility of the Europe Investment Bank (EIB) funding MRT’s phase 3 and 4 projects while the Asian Development Bank (ADB) has shown interest to be involved in the funding of the project’s East-West phase. He also mentioned UK Export Finance and South Korea in the list of possible financial backers for the project.
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News