TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - A number of national figures declared their supports toward Indonesian Food and Drug Monitoring Agency (BPOM). "We, whose names are listed below, take stand at BPOM, which is an Indonesian official insitution that works based on disciplined procedures and sicence integrity," said a member of Transparency International Indonesia (TII) Natalia Soebagjo in a statement on Saturday, April 17.
Natalia asked all parties to let the institution and its experts team work soundly as she believes to the science integrity and independence of the insititution. She praised BPOM that has been serving to help maintain public health.
"Those who work at BPOM proved themseleves as patriots without much rhetoric, stand up to pressure. We citizens of the republic stand with them" she remarked.
Natalia and a number of national figures asserted that they respect the research and developement of all vaccines or drugs as the efforts to fight against the pandemic. "But still heeding to sicentific principles," she added.
The figures who attend the declaration of support for BPOM are:
- Commissioner of Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) of 2003-2007 Erry Riyana Hardjapamekas
- Former director of RSCM hospital, Akmal Taher
- Professor of Microbiology at the University of Indonesia (UI), Pratiwi Sudarmono
- Education pratictioner, Henny Supolo
- UI Epidemiologist, Pandu Riono
- Professor of Cardiology of Department of Cardiology and Vascular Medicine at UI Medical Faculty, Idris Idham
- Herbal Drugs Expert from UI Medical Faculty Purwantyastuti
- Muslim Scholars, Azyumardi Azra
- Former Mining and Energy Minister, Kuntoro Mangkusubroto
- Professor of UI Economy Faculty (FEUI) Mayling Oey
- Rector of University of Indonesia period of 2014–2019 Muhammad Anis
Previously, BPOM was criticized by DPR members for not yet granting permit for Nusantara vaccine to conduct clinical trial phase II. The development of the vaccine is initiated by former health minister Terawan Agus Putranto.
In Friday's press converence, BPOM Chief Penny Lukito revealed reasons why her office halt the permit granting. She explained that the institution found oddities in the research of the Nusantara vaccine.