TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Head of the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) Doni Monardo on Wednesday claims that the warning for a potential disastrous earthquake in West Sulawesi had been announced in 2019.
“However, we cannot know for sure when the earthquake would happen,” he said in a coordination meeting on the West Sulawesi earthquake on Wednesday, January 20.
He claims that this is the main reason he constantly reminds residents of West Sulawesi to always stay alert and be ready for sudden disastrous possibilities that could strike the region. Doni then encouraged people to not remain indoors or inside a structure as an earthquake takes place, especially if the structure cannot stand the physical stresses of a quake.
The BNPB chief said every Indonesian region could potentially be struck by earthquakes with varying degrees of magnitude scales excluding the island of Kalimantan. Doni Monardo also reminded volunteers to protect themselves from Covid-19 and said the agency had distributed 500 face masks for volunteers in West Sulawesi.