TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Central Jakarta Fire Mitigation and Rescue Department deployed 65 personnel to put out a fire in a shophouse at Ketapang Shophouse Complex, Gambir. The incident occurred on Saturday, October 24, at 04:28 a.m.
The first unit came at 04:31. "We've managed to localize it in an hour," said the head of Central Jakarta fire mitigation and rescue department, Asril Rizal, this morning.
The officers managed to prevent the fire from spreading to other houses by deploying 12 firetrucks.
The owner and family live on the second floor of the shophouse. They were sleeping when the fire broke and burned the ground floor. Their neighbors helped evacuate them through the window.
Asril said the cause of the fire was a short circuit.