TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The mobile operator PT Telekomunikasi Selular or Telkomsel stated it was exploring a business partnership with the US-based streaming service provider Netflix. The Telkomsel CEO Setyanto Hantoro said they would soon share common ground within the next few weeks.
“We are discussing a serious partnership that leads to whether allowing (Telkomsel) customers to access Netflix,” said Setyanto in an online discussion on the telecommunication industry to welcome a new normal era with Tempo on Thursday, June 11.
Setyanto explained that his side has seen significant changes in the service provided by Netflix, which has now had a take-down policy. Besides, the streaming service giant has worked with local film producers.
“We knew why Telkom Group previously blocked access to Netflix, which is due to ethical reasons. At that time, [we] disagreed about the contents,” he added.
Telkom's President Director Ririek Adriansyah had also given signals related to the company's deliberation with Netflix that was about customers’ protection regarding contents, including content takedown policies.
“That depends on the discussion results of Netflix and Telkom. If they (Netflix) want to change it to be more in line with the regulation, particularly in terms of contents and take-down policy,” said Ririek on June 5.
FRANCISCA CHRISTY ROSANA | ANTARA