Death Toll in Jakarta Flood Rises to 30

Translator:

Editor:

Laila Afifa

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) announced 30 people have been confirmed dead due to Wednesday’s floods that inundated the capital and satellite cities such as Bogor, Depok, Tangerang, and Bekasi, on New Year’s Day. 

    BNPB spokesman Agus Wibowo on Thursday, January 2, said the death toll was attributed to flood victims who were either struck by hypothermia, electrocuted, buried under landslides, and being swept by strong flood currents. 

    “Seventeen victims died because of the floods’ strong currents,” said Agus in a written statement on Thursday.

    The deaths caused by landslides happened in Depok City, Bogor City, and Bekasi. Meanwhile, victims of electrocution were in East Jakarta, Bekasi City, Tangerang City, and South Tangerang. Three people in East Jakarta succumbed to hypothermia. 

    Previously, the massive floods were caused by prolonged rainfall that showered over the Jakarta Greater Region (Jabodetabek) heading to the New Year’s Eve on December 31, 2019, and lasted up to the afternoon of January 1, 2020.

    FAJAR PEBRIANTO