TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Youth and Sports Ministry has lamented the planned suspension of PB Djarum’s badminton trial in 2020. Minister Imam Nahrawi then demanded Djarum Foundation extend the program as many young athletes were seeking opportunities to get sport scholarships.
“We have just heard that the selection will be halted. Don’t ever dream that this trial ends,” said Imam in the 36th commemoration event of the National Sports Day in Banjarmasin, South Kalimantan, Monday, September 9.
Imam considered the program as one of the measures to create potential athletes who would bring the good name of Indonesia at the international level. The selection, he added, had been proven in several international competitions.
“We do not see any sign of child exploitation. So the next world champions, don’t give up,” Imam remarked.
Djarum Foundation, under the country’s cigarette giant, has earlier announced it would not organize the badminton trial next year following rejections from the Indonesian Child Protection Commission (KPAI) and Lentera Anak Foundation that deemed the program exploited children.
The foundation’s director, Yoppy Rosimin, said this year’s badminton trial would be the last one as requested by related parties. He balked at detailing the parties.
“During this year’s trial, we drop all brands of PB Djarum because we realize that we have to do so to reduce the polemic,” said Yoppy as quoted from PB Djarum's official website, Saturday, September 7.