TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Jakarta regional secretary Saefullah said the relocation of the asylum seekers dwelling in roadsides of Kebon Sirih, Central Jakarta is awaiting Foreign Affairs Ministry's decision. He said the ministry will hold a meeting with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) on the matter.
“We are waiting for the Ministry and UNHCR discussion result, on what the provincial administration can do,” said Saefullah in the City Hall, Central Jakarta, Wednesday, July 10.
According to Saefullah, there are 260 immigrants camped out in the sidewalk. So the city must take a measure since they are already disturbing public facility. But on the other hand, Jakarta must concern them for humanitarian reasons.
When the ministry makes a decision, Saefullah went on, the city administration will relocate them to Kalideres area, West Jakarta near the UNHCR office in order to ease the coordination.
The immigrants came from the Middle East and started to occupy the sidewalks since last week. They claimed to have waited for four months to get a place and country to visit. One of the refugee Omid, 15, said that he hoped the Indonesian government could provide him a place. “We are poor people, our country is in war, there’s no place to live,” he said.
Saefullah explained the asylum seekers moved to Kebon Sirih because the refugee camp in Kalideres was lack of food. He added Jakarta administration is ready to provide help UNHCR regarding the place of the immigrants.
M JULNIS FIRMANSYAH