Jokowi Cancels Plan to Attend Judas Priest Concert
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - President Joko `Jokowi` Widodo canceled the plan to attend the invitation of Judas Priest concert which was held in Ecopark Ancol, Jakarta on Friday evening, December 7. According to the concert promoter Rajawali Indonesia Communication, Jokowi could not present due to the killing incident in Papua.
“He [President Jokowi] plans to come, but he feels empathy for the condition in Papua. This [concert] is a hobby, so he relented to the condition as he is a president,” said Rajawali Indonesia Communication CEO Anas Syahrul Alimi during a press conference after the Judas Priest concert.
On Sunday, December 2, construction workers in Nduga District, Papua Province were killed by armed groups led by Egianus Kogoya. National Police Chief Gen. Tito Karnavian said a total of 20 people including personnel of Indonesian Armed Force (TNI) died.
The promoter said the cancelation of Jokowi's visit had been communicated to personnel of Judas Priest, and they understood such a condition.
This was the first concert of Judas Priest ever held in Indonesia since the heavy metal band was formed in 1969. During the show that was attended by thousands of metalheads, the band performed 19 songs, among others were Firepower, Painkiller, until Metal Gods.