TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Social Affairs Minister Agus Gumiwang Kartasasmita called for immediate government aid worth Rp1.3 billion to be distributed to the survivors of the powerful earthquake that hit South Halmahera, North Maluku.
“I request for the emergency disaster aid be transported to the location in less than 24 hours so the survivors can get immediate help,” said Agus in a statement on Thursday, July 18.
The government emergency disaster relief logistical aid is spread into three phases of distribution. More than 1,000 staple food packages, sanitary tools, tents, and victim compensation will be distributed to the affected areas.
Previously, the North Maluku Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) recorded six people died and 3,104 were evacuated after a powerful earthquake with a magnitude 7.2 struck the region on Sunday, July 14.
South Halmahera Regent Bahrain Kasuba said that ten sub-districts in the regency are on emergency response period until July 21.