TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - There are 3,107 earthquake victims in South Halmahera District, North Maluku, still living in shelters. The victims had to leave their homes that were damaged by the quake. They are also still in fear of aftershocks.
"They are living in shelter tents in 15 locations," Head of North Maluku's Disaster Management Agency (BPBD), Ridwan Samad, said yesterday, July 16.
On Sunday afternoon, an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 rocked South Halmahera; killing six people and injuring 49. The quake also destroyed 971 houses, displacing more than 3,000 people.
"This number is likely to increase considering there are several villages that have not yet been recorded," Ridwan said.
South Halmahera Regent, Bahrain Kasuba, said that parts of the regency are on emergency response period until 21 July. "The status is applied to ten sub-districts," he said.
On Tuesday, Bali was also hit with a quake measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale. So far there has been no report of fatalities, although one person was reported to have been injured.
BUDHY NURGIANTO | DIDIT HARIYADI | DAVID PRIYASIDHARTA | FRANCISCA CHRISTY ROSANA