TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - PT Istaka Karya president director Sigit Winarto said the company would compensate workers who were killed in Nduga, Papua. The workers, he added, were covered with insurance programs, such as the state's social security agency for labor, BPJS Ketenagakerjaan.
"We guarantee that we will take full responsibility for the victims and their families," said Sigit at the Office of the Ministry of Public Works and Housing in Jakarta, Tuesday, December 4.
However, Sigit could not disclose the compensation value for 28 workers who mostly came from South Sulawesi and Kalimantan.
"We will first reconfirm the number of victims and their origins," Sigit added. He would also ascertain news of a worker who managed to escape from the killings attempt.
Sigit mentioned the company was currently focusing on evacuating victims from the incident site to Wamena because based on the information he received, the victims still could not be evacuated.
Previously reported, Papua Police spokesman Comr. Ahmad Musthofa Kamal said as many as 31 workers of Istaka Karya were allegedly killed by armed groups on December 2. During the killings, the workers were building bridges in Kali Yigi and Aurak, Yigi District, Nduga Regency, Papua.
CAESAR AKBAR | ANDITA RAHMA