Wednesday, 23 January 2019

Relocation Arrangement for Palu Quake Victims to Start Next Year

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • Darmi, 48, and her brother Rusli, 43, stand outside her destroyed house hit by an earthquake as they look for clothes and other belongings in the rubble, in Balaroa neighbourhood, Palu, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia, October 10, 2018. The two-storey building collapsed. Darmi was in her kitchen cooking, with her older sister, her sister's two children, and three grandchildren in the house when the earthquake struck. They ran out of the house and headed for the hills as the ground started to give way beneath them. All of them are safe.

    Darmi, 48, and her brother Rusli, 43, stand outside her destroyed house hit by an earthquake as they look for clothes and other belongings in the rubble, in Balaroa neighbourhood, Palu, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia, October 10, 2018. The two-storey building collapsed. Darmi was in her kitchen cooking, with her older sister, her sister's two children, and three grandchildren in the house when the earthquake struck. They ran out of the house and headed for the hills as the ground started to give way beneath them. All of them are safe. "We were lucky because the soil pushed our house upwards. There were some houses here that just collapsed into the ground... It felt like the earth was alive. It was opening up, swallowing people, and then closing again. And the noise was so loud. This loud cracking 'k-k-k-k' sound," said Darmi. REUTERS/Jorge Silva

    TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The government would commence arranging the relocation area for the quake victims in Palu, Sigi, and Donggala, Central Sulawesi in January 2019. The regional arrangement included construction of forest house, public and social facilities.

    Central Sulawesi Governor Longki Djanggola said the relocation would be made in several regions suggested by Palu Mayor and Sigi Regent. At present, he added, four locations had been approved by the National Development Planning Agency (Bappenas).

    “Talise, Tondo, and Petobo in Palu, while in Palu City and Pombewe in Sigi District,” said Longki in the vice presidential office in Jakarta, on Monday, November 5.

    According to Longki, the government would relocate some 14,000 families. However, the number potentially increased.

    Minister of Agrarian Affairs and Spatial Planning Sofyan Djalil said the relocation required 1,000-1,500 hectares of land. “There are 1,000 hectares of vacant land with the building rights (HGB) for the relocation area,” he mentioned.

    The government strived to provide new residential areas in the state-owned land (HGB). Other alternatives were on the land with cultivation rights title (HGU).

    Longki claimed the region recommended by the regional administration could accommodate the relocated people yet without supporting infrastructures such as roads, electricity network and water supply. “Those need to be developed,” he said.

    The government set a target to complete the relocation area development within two years, and that the construction of the residence would begin next year.

    VINDRY FLORENTIN