TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) released an update data of the death toll from Lombok earthquake. “As of last Saturday [August 11], a total of 392 people had died,” said BNPB spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho in a written statement, Sunday, August 12.
As report suggested, the magnitude 7 earthquake struck Lombok and neighboring areas on Sunday, August 5, followed by numerous aftershocks since then. The last big aftershock occurred on Thursday, August 9.
Sutopo mentioned 339 people from North Lombok died, 30 people from West Lombok, 9 people from Mataram city, 10 people from East Lombok, and 2 people from Central Lombok and Lombok city. “Most of the victims died due to buried in debris,” he said.
In addition, as many as 1,353 people were injured; 783 people suffered major injuries, while the rest 570 were lightly wounded. Sutopo said the most injured victims were from North Lombok up to 640 people.
According to Sutopo, the earthquake forced 387,067 flee from their residences. The evacuees spread throughout four regencies of Lombok. “198,846 people at Lombok regency, 91,372 people at West Lombok, 20,343 people at Mataram city, and 76,506 people at East Lombok,” he added.
BNPB recorded thousands of buildings and residences were damaged due to Lombok earthquake, viz. 67,875 houses, 606 schools, 6 bridges, 3 hospitals, 10 health centers, 15 mosques, 50 prayer buildings, 20 office buildings, said Sutopo. BNPB was still listing damaged houses and buildings to further provide compensations from the government.