TEMPO.CO, Yogyakarta - Three defendants on trial for the murder of four prisoners at the Cebongan Penitentiary in Sleman, Yogyakarta, denied the prosecutor’s allegations of premeditation.
"They did not plan on going to the prison. They did that when they heard information that the gangsters who killed First Sergeant Heru Santoso were at the prison," said Lt. Col. Rokhmat, the defense attorney for the three suspects, during the first trial of exceptions at the Military Court II-11 in Yogyakarta yesterday.
In his defense, Rokhmat stated that his clients did not even know where the Cebongan Penitentiary was. Aside from that, when they entered the cell block, Second Sergeant Ucok Tigor Simbolon, the alleged executioner, asked all prisoners to identify Deki’s group, their target.
Rokhmat added that the incident went on for a relatively long time. He said that if the attack was premeditated, it should have gone much faster.
"Because they are trained men and experienced in military operations," he said.
The Cebongan Penitentiary attack occurred on Saturday, March 23, earlier this year. The Indonesian Army’s (TNI AD) investigation team revealed 12 members of the Kopassus Group 2 in Kartasuro, Central Java, to be the perpetrators. One of these soldiers, Second Sergeant Ucok Tigor Simbolon, was said to be the executor.
MUH SYAIFULLAH | SHINTA MAHARANI