Jakarta Reopens Car Free Day in Sudirman-Thamrin and 5 Other Areas
20 May 2022 12:45 WIB
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Jakarta provincial government decided to again implement a day without motorized vehicles or Car Free Day (CFD) starting Sunday, May 22, 2022, at 06:00-10:00 a.m. The weekly event was expected to improve the capital’s air quality.
However, the activities are limited to outdoor exercise only, said the Jakarta Transportation Agency Head Syafrin Liputo.
“We will also ensure that there are no street vendors [in the CFD area]. Besides, visitors are required to scan the PeduliLindungi QR Code [using their smartphone] or show at least a second-dose vaccination certificate,” said Syafrin in a written statement, Friday, May 20, 2022.
He also encouraged the public to comply with the rules and the predetermined health protocols such as maintaining distance and avoiding crowds. “We also urge all to carry face masks to be used when the area is very crowded,” he added. Wearing face masks in open spaces that are not crowded is now optional.
CFD had been reopened last year despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and was then suspended again because there were large crowds during its reopening which caused public concerns about virus transmission.
Locations of the Car Free Day event that will be open starting Sunday are as follows:
- Jl. Jend. Sudirman – Jl. MH Thamrin (from Arjuna Wijaya Statue to Youth Monument)
- Jl. Sisingamangaraja (from Youth Monument to CSW), South Jakarta
- Jl. Tomang Raya (from Tomang Intersection to Business Hotel Tomang), West Jakarta
- Jl. Danau Sunter Selatan (from Karya Beton Intersection to Sunter Sports Hall), North Jakarta
- Jl. Suryo Pranoto (from Harmoni Intersection to Tarakan Hospital Intersection), Central Jakarta
- Jl. Pemuda (from Arion Intersection to TU-GAS Intersection), East Jakarta
MOH. KHORY ALFARIZI
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News