Govt Still Plans to Limit Visitors to Borobudur: Luhut
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs and Investment Luhut Binsar Panjaitan said the government will stick to the idea of limiting the number of visitors to Borobudur Temple to 1,200 people per day. As previously reported, the plan to increase the ticket prices was postponed.
“[Issues regarding the ticket prices of] Borobudur had been decided in yesterday’s meeting and will be announced later, but what’s clear is that we will stick to [the discourse of limiting visitor numbers to] 1,200 quota,” said Luhut at the Financial and Development Supervisory Agency (BPKP) office, East Jakarta, Wednesday, June 15, 2022.
He also ensured that 25 percent of the quota would still be reserved for students and the current entrance fee is still Rp50,000.
As the plan to increase the ticket fare to the UNESCO world heritage site at Rp750,000 for domestic tourists met with public criticism, the government decided to temporarily postpone the policy.
Tourism and Creative Economy Minister Sandiaga Uno, meanwhile, said several related parties such as MSME actors, religious leaders, environmental activists, and community leaders would further study the ticket price hike.
“But of course, it is certain that the carrying capacity limit is set at only 1,200 per day,” said Sandiaga.
Sandiaga Uno stated that the government did not take a commercial approach in determining the ticket prices of Borobudur, but rather a conservant one in order to ensure that the super tourist destination must really be protected.
RIANI SANUSI PUTRI
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News