TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Jakarta Administration records that the number of asylum seekers returning to the former West Jakarta military command facility had increased to 560 people.
“As of 12 p.m. yesterday, which is based on visual observation there is an increase of 200 people that amounts to a total of 560 asylum seekers,” said the Head of Jakarta National and Political Unity Office (Kesbangpol) Taufan Bakri on Thursday, September 12.
The facility’s role as a make-shift refugee camp was previously shut down at the end of August but was reopened following the direct orders from Vice President Jusuf Kalla, who requested the Jakarta administration to extend its accommodation for the asylum seekers.
“They initially only came from the Jakarta area, but now they come from Bogor, Tangerang, Bekasi, and Depok. They all came back here to make sure where they will be moved to,” said Taufan.
However, Jakarta is only able to provide the physical location and is not able to provide for the refugees’ daily needs as it provided before the brief closure.
The UNHCR initially gave financial aid for the asylum seekers after they were ordered to leave the facility at the end of August, but many eventually returned.