Mayor Claims Yogyakarta is Now Safe for Tourists
TEMPO.CO, Yogyakarta - The Yogyakarta city government asserted that the region is now safe for tourist visits during the upcoming Eid al-Fitr holiday albeit there were previously street crimes or locally known as klitih that killed a teenager.
The street crime was reportedly a case involving school gangs that have nothing to do with tourists or the security situation of Yogyakarta in general.
“Visit Yogya. We, along with the police, TNI (Indonesian Military), and community organizations, are trying our best to keep Yogyakarta safe to reside in, comfortable to visit,” said Yogyakarta Mayor Haryadi Suyuti on Wednesday, April 13.
He emphasized that street crimes that injure people have clear legal consequences. The city administration handed over the matter according to the applicable legal process to the police.
“To keep Yogyakarta safer, we are also activating the enforcement of Regional Regulation No. 15 of 2018 concerning the implementation of public order and public peace,” said Haryadi. “So there is no reason to say that Yogya is not safe [for tourists].”
Yogyakarta Deputy Mayor Heroe Poerwadi added the meeting results with the police on recent klitih incidents. One of them is a conclusion that there was no random victim of klitih, and that such street crime began following friction between groups of teenagers.
PRIBADI WICAKSONO (CONTRIBUTOR)