Cyclone Seroja Official Death Toll at 86, Says BNPB
6 April 2021 21:34 WIB
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) stated that the death toll caused by the flash flood, as the result of Cyclone Seroja, in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) up until Tuesday noon officially climbed to 86.
“Based on yesterday’s agreement, they are deemed deceased when the bodies are discovered and have been verified,” said the BNPB spokesperson Raditya Jati on Tuesday, April 6.
Cyclone Seroja hit the southern part of NTT on April 4 which caused widespread devastation. Strong hurricanes, landslides, and flash floods occurred in the city of Kupang, East Flores District, Malaka, Lembara, Ngada, Alor, East Sumba, Sabu, Raijua, Rote Ndao, South Central Timor, and Ende.
Ninety-eight went missing due to the disaster, which also injured 146 and displaced 2,683 local residents. Authorities continue to search for the missing people and record the identities of the people displaced by the natural disaster.
So far, the BNPB recorded that 1,992 houses are generally affected by the natural disasters and 498 houses are severely damaged while dozens of public facilities are also damaged.
Read: BMKG Attributes 'Abnormal' Cyclone Seroja to Global Warming