TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs and Investments, Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan, said the government plans to temporarily stop ore nickel exports. The policy was placed in effect Tuesday, Oct. 29 until the two weeks before its permanent ban on January 2020.
Luhut said the policy was issued as there had been a surge of nickel shipment.
"Nickel ore exports have almost tripled its quota," the minister said in Jakarta, Tuesday, October 29.
In the last two months, nickel ore exporters have made 100 to 130 shipments per month. The normal volume is 30 shipments per month. Luhut said that the over-quota of ore shipments were done by businesses with and without smelters.
The surge occurred as the government makes efforts to curb nickel exports by mandating companies to build smelters for domestic processing.
Luhut said the government can prosecute companies that violate their export volume limits.
Francisca Christy Rosana