Tourists Cancel Trip to Indonesia over Haze Situation

Translator:

Editor:

Petir Garda Bhwana

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Tourism Ministry's Tourism Crisis Center said that the industry is suffering from the haze caused by forest and land fires. Foreign tourists are cancelling their trips to Indonesia.

    The Center's chief, Guntur Sakti, said that most of the cancellations were done by Malaysian and Singaporean tourists. 

    "There is a report from Riau that 31 travelers from Malaysia had canceled their trip to Indonesia, "Guntur told Tempo on Wednesday, September 18. 

    The Malaysian tourists, he said, had bought tour packages worth Rp65 million. Guntur also received a report of canceled tours from Singapore worth Rp50 million.

    Golfers from Malaysia had also decided not to visit Indonesia. Eighteen golfers canceled their tour package purchase worth Rp75 million. 

     Meanwhile, a concert promoter had to suffer a loss of Rp580 million after a concert in Alam Mayang had to be called off. The company had already paid that money for down payment and sound check fees.  

    Guntur said there are more potentials for losses, as regional governments may shut down tourist destinations affected by the haze.  The ministry is currently making a calculation of the financial loss suffered by the industry.

    FRANCISCA CHRISTY ROSANA