TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Foreign Affairs Minister Retno Marsudi said that Indonesia has joined the search and rescue attempt to find the missing crew of the USS John S. McCain throughout the Singaporean waters.
“I have contacted the Indonesian Navy Chief of Staff to ask about our support considering that the search is still ongoing,” said Minister Retno at the Presidential Palace complex on Monday, August 21.
Early this morning, the US destroyer collided with a merchant's vessel in the east of the Malacca Strait and Singapore. Five US Navy personnel were injured by the collision, while 10 others were reportedly missing.
According to Retno Marsudi, three Indonesian Navy ships were sent to the location in order to help with the search and rescue attempt. The Indonesian government also sent several helicopters.
“So far, it’s confirmed that there is no oil spill in the region, so the search attempt will focus on finding the missing crew,” said Retno Marsudi.