TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Inactive Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama extended an apology to Ma’ruf Amin through television and online media on Sunday evening, February 5, 2017. The apology was delivered by Ahok after he attended the “Istigosah Kebangsaan” (national prayers) held by Nahdalatul Ulama in Central Jakarta.
Also read: Ahok Extends Apology to MUI Chairman
“I apologize if I was considered to be disrespectful to Kyai Ma’ruf,” Ahok said in front of journalists in Jakarta on Sunday evening, February 5, 2017.
Meanwhile, the South Jakarta Ansor Youth Movement (GP Ansor) plans to hold a rally at Lembang House, the Ahok-Djarot’s campaign post, on Tuesday, February 7, 2017. The rally is related to the apology that was aired by Ahok on YouTube.
Also read: Ahok Apologizes
Head of the South Jakarta GP Ansor, Sulton Mu’minah, said that they demand Ahok to issue an apology that is covered by journalists and media. They argue that his apology on YouTube was not widely accessible to the public which includes the people of Nahdalatul Ulama.
Ahok understands the disappointment coming from the young members of NU. This time, he made sure that he had already issued an apology in front of the journalists that were present at the event that was attended by a number of known figures such as United Development Party (PPP) leader Djan Faridz, Gus Nuril and Nusron Wahid.
On his eighth blasphemy trial, Ahok accused the Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) chairman Ma’ruf Amin, who appeared as a witness, of perjury. He threatened to take legal action against Ma’ruf.
Ahok said Ma'ruf testimony against him was not objective and tended to discredit him. His statement has sparked anger among Islamic organizations including the NU. However, Ahok had extended his apology on YouTube as well as through a written statement.