TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Public Works and Public Housing Minister Basuki Hadimuljono said that the plan to flood the Jatigede Reservoir in West Java must be delayed
"We can't do it yet because not all data of residents that will be evicted have been validated," said Basuki on Wednesday, July 29, 2015.
Basuki said that there have been only around two thousand residents that have gone through the validation process and are ready to receive compensation. The compensation was paid on June 26. So far, data of nine thousand residents are still being validated.
The development of the Jatigede reservoir, which is claimed to be the second largest reservoir in Indonesia had been planned since President Soekarno's term in 1963. Acquisition of around 4,983 hectares of land needed for the reservoir has been carried out since 1982.
After being neglected for 25 years, the Jatigede reservoir project was revived in 2007 by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono only to be stalled once again until it was resumed under the instruction of President Joko Widodo.