TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - City-owned bus operator is recalling 30 Chinese-made Zhong Tong buses from its Transjakarta fleet after one of them with VIN B 7195 IX caught fire on Jl. M.T. Haryono on Sunday, March 8, 2015.
Transjakarta director Antonius Kosasih said the buses had been recalled for investigation into the possible cause of the fire. The buses are now stationed at Pinangranti, East Jakarta.
“The 30 Zhong Tong buses recalled are of the same production year,” he said in Cawang, East Jakarta on Tuesday, March 10, 2015. He added the investigation would last for two to three days.
Antonius explained after the investigation was completed his company would also inspect the other 29 buses for any error that could possibly trigger a similar incident. “If possible, we will ask Zhong Tong and Doosan as their producers to replace the engines,” he said.
The sudden recall is likely to stymie Transjakarta services in Corridor 9 plying Pluit-Pinangranti route. Thus, Antonius said Transjakarta would operate its night fleet to accommodate passengers in daytime.
“We will operate the buses again once we get security guarantee from Zhong Tong,” he said.
Indonesian Transportation Society head Danang Parikesit, meanwhile, suggested Transjakarta and the Jakarta administration revamp their bus procurement scheme to dodge the risk of similar incidents.
“They need to revamp the scheme,” he told Tempo on Tuesday.
RAYMUNDUS RIKANG| NUR ALFIYAH