Baby Dies After Eating Laundry Packet

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - An infant in Florida died last week after accidentally eating a packet of laundry detergent 'All Mighty Pacs Free & Clear'.

    The death of the 7-month-old boy is believed to be the first associated with single-dose liquid detergent packets, which have been widely available in the U.S. early last year. Procter & Gamble Co. try to stop the problem by modifying their packaging and providing warning consumers.

    Kathryn Corbally, Sun Products' director of corporate affairs, said the company had not been notified directly by authorities but had heard that its product was involved. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the child who died," Ms. Corbally said. She said the company takes safety seriously.

    Since the start of this year, poison-control centers across the country have reported 5,753 cases of children 5 years old and under being accidentally exposed to single-dose detergent packets made by companies including P&G, Henkel AG and others.

    Some poison-center directors have cited the laundry packets' resemblance to candy as a factor in some accidents. In many cases, parents play an important role to keep these products away from children.

    Some of the injuries have been serious, causing symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, breathing difficulties and corneal abrasions. Some children even had to be hospitalized for days and intubated to help them breathe.

    FOX NEWS | RINDU P HESTYA