TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Major Gen. Agus Sutomo, Commander of the Special Forces (Kopassus), said that he is ready to take full responsibilities over the attack on Cebongan prison. He said that he is willing go to prison replacing the 11 Kopassus members who were named as suspects.
The suspects are currently being investigated by the Diponegoro Military Police. In addition, the suspects have admitted to the National Army (TNI) investigators that they do involved in the attack, resulting in the death of four prisoners.
Agus, currently waiting for the legal process of his team members, argued that there was no human rights violation in the attack. "What happened was members' [of the Kopassus] violating [orders]" he said.
However, the National Human Rights Commission (Komnas HAM) insisted that the incident was a case of abuse against human rights as indicated by the violations over "the rights to live, security, freedom from prosecution, and protection of property," Komnas HAM chair Siti Noor Laila said.
To date, the Diponegoro Military Police have yet to name any suspect in the shooting incident--the 11 Kopasus members are only charged of the attack.
"Once we finish the examination, we will announce [the names]," Col. Widodo Raharjo, Chief of Information at the Diponegoro Military Police said on Wednesday, April 17. The investigation team has so far questioned 57 people, including the 11 Kopassus members who admitted attacking Cebongan Prison.
INDRA WIJAYA | NUR ALFIYAH | SOHIRIN | FANNY