TEMPO.CO, Seoul: North Korea has declared it has entered a "state of war" with South Korea, raised between the North and the South will be handled in accordance with a wartime protocol as North Korea's news agency KCNA reported.
North Korea also threatened to close the Kaesong industrial park, which is managed jointly by the two countries. This area is just a few kilometers away from the border.
Pyongyang has been threatening to "fight off" South Korea and its ally the United States almost every day since the beginning of March. This was triggered by the resolution of the United Nations' Security Council that raised the sanctions against North Korea following the rocket launch in December 2012 and a nuclear test on February 12, 2013.
Tension immediately heated up after South Korea held military exercises with the US last week. The US deployed its B2 stealth bomber over South Korea's air. Pyongyang retaliated by directing its missiles towards US' bases in the Pacific.
South Korea's military call the North's threat as a bluff. An official at South Korea's Defense Ministry said there has been no sign of incredible activity from North Korea.
Meanwhile, the US condemns this provocation. The White House deputy spokesman Josh Earnest said in Washington Friday (3/29) that "the United States remains committed to safeguarding the interests of our allies there".
REUTERS | GUARDIAN | ABDUL MANAN