The History of Youth Pledge Museum

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • TEMPO Interactive, Jakarta:The Youth Pledge Museum was established in the early 20th century. Located at Jalan Kramat Raya No.106, Central Jakarta, the owner of this building was Sie Kong Liang. Around 1908, Sie Kong Liang turned his home into a lodging establishment, renting out rooms to students from tot Opleiding van Inlandsche Artsen School or Stovia and Rechtsschool, RS.Among those who rented a room wwere Muhammad Yamin, Amir Sjarifoedin, Soerjadi from Surabaya, Soerjadi from Jakarta, Soenarko, Koentjoro Poerbopranoto, Mohammad Amir, Roesmali and Mohammad Tamzil.The students referred to the building as Commensalen Huis. Eventually, it became a place for students to gather. In 1925, the name of the place was changed into Langen Siswo.In 1927, a number of youth organizations held activities in the house, such discussions on the their planned struggle. Congresses organized by the Sekar Roeken, the Indonesian Youth and the Indonesian Students Association congresses were also held in that house. The final name of the house was Indonesische Clubhuis or Clubgebouw which means the meeting house. "Bung Karno and the Bandung Algemeene Study Club members often came to that Kramat Buildin," the website of the Youth Pledge museum wrote.On August 15, 1928, the youths decided to use Sie Kong Liangs house as the place of the second Youth Congress in Oct. 1928. They also appointed GN Soegondo Djojopuspito, the leader of Indonesian Students Association as the congress chairman.Three years, after the Youth Pledge and Second Congress, many students graduated. They left the Indonesische Clubgebouw building and since 1934, Sie Kong Liang rented it to Pang Tjem Jam for three years.Pang Tjem Jam lived at the house until 1937. After that, he rented it to Jing Loh Tjoe, a florist. Although Jing Loh Tjoe stopped her business in 1948, she continued to rent the house until 1951. "Over the last three years, the house was converted into Hersia Hotel."Sie Kong Liangs house stopped being a rental place 1951. The house was then occupied by Customs and Excise Office until 1970. In 1968, Sunario Sastrowardoyo, the second Youth Congress leader gathered everyone who took the Youth Pledge. Their mission was to ask the Jakarta Governor at that time Ali Sadikin -- to restore manage the building that today is known as house no. 106 on Jalan Kramat Raya.The request was granted. On April 3 to May 20 1973, the Jakarta Government renovated Sie Kong Liangs house. After the restoration, the house was turned into a Youth Pledge Museum by the Ali Sadikin Youth group.CORNILA DESYANA

  •