BSI Admits Massive Money Withdrawals Post Service Disruptions
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Director of Sales and Distribution of Indonesia's Sharia bank BSI Anton Sukarna confirmed that there had been a massive withdrawal of money following the banking service disruptions starting May 8, 2023.
The big cash withdrawal occurred when BSI announced that services returned to normal on May 10, 2023.
Anton argued this was very reasonable but could not be deemed as rush money. “Frankly, it happened,” he said at Tempo HQ, West Jakarta, on Thursday, May 25, 2023.
BSI opened its offices on Saturday-Sunday, May 13-14, as the banking services back to normal and served customers for transactions. “Thank God, there was a fairly good recovery process during the weekend banking,” he claimed.
Anton cited that on May 24, cash deposit transactions reached 39,196 throughout Indonesia with a total value of Rp1.578 trillion, and cash withdrawal transactions via non-ATM amounted to 14,253 with a nominal value of Rp926 billion.
BSI still could disclose the exact cause of the days-long service disruptions. Meanwhile, a hacker group LockBit claimed to be the cause and breached data allegedly belonging to the SOE Sharia bank in the form of 15 million customer data, employees’ data, and around 1.5 terabytes of internal data on the dark web.
Gunawan A. Hartoyo, BSI Corporate Secretary, stated that digital forensic audits and investigations are still ongoing. “We have to conduct a series of digital forensic audits to clarify whether there is indeed [a ransomware attack] and others, which are now still ongoing,” he said at the National Consumer Protection Agency (BPKN) HQ, Central Jakarta, on Thursday, May 25, 2023.
MOH. KHORY ALFARIZI
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo in Google News