Erick Thohir Asserts No More Events at GBK Post Blackpink Concert for U-20 FIFA World Cup
13 March 2023 23:33 WIB
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Erick Thohir, chairman of the local organizing committee of the 2023 FIFA U-20 World Cup, confirmed that the Gelora Bung Karno (GBK) Main Stadium in Senayan, Jakarta, will not hold any more events before the international men's youth football championship. This is part of the preparations for holding the biennial tournament.
"This is a critical condition [because GBK] is the mega field in Indonesia which is vital for the World Cup," Erick told reporters at GBK on Monday, March 13, 2023. "There will be an opening event here and other related matters. So, I have to take a stance that there are no more events at GBK, either sports or arts," he emphasized.
Previously, two music concerts were held at GBK, namely Raisa's concert on February 25, 2023, and South Korean girl group Blackpink's concert on March 11 and 12, 2023.
On Monday, March 13, 2023, Erick reviewed the stadium's condition and found no serious problems, except the grass quality that must be improved after being used for the two huge concerts. The grass restoration will also be carried out to repair damages in five other stadiums.
Erick's visit to GBK ended his initial series of inspections conducted since Saturday, March 11, 2023, prior to the re-audit process by FIFA to check the eligibility of six stadiums for the 2023 U-20 World Cup. The audit process will be carried out on March 21 until March 27, 2023.
"We directly visit [the stadium] because the U-20 World Cup is important for the bidding process to host the 2034 World Cup with other Southeast Asian countries. We must succeed and be serious about the U-20 World Cup," said Erick Thohir.
RANDY FAUZI FEBRIANSYAH
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo in Google News