Jakarta Records 34 Patients Infected with COVID-19 Orthrus Variant
28 February 2023 15:02 WIB
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Jakarta Health Agency recorded 34 people infected with the latest COVID-19 omicron subvariant CH.1.1 or Orthrus. Head of the agency’s surveillance, epidemiology, and immunization unit Ngabila Salama said 21 of them were Jakartans and the rest 13 were non-Jakartans.
“All of them have recovered. None dies or is being treated at the hospital,” she said in a written statement, on Tuesday, February 28.
Of the number, one toddler, 28 adults, and five elderly people. According to Ngabila, 25 percent of the patients were asymptomatic, while the other 75 percent had mild symptoms.
The agency also recorded 10 percent of the number have not been vaccinated, 15 percent have received the second dose, and 75 percent have received the third dose alias booster vaccine.
The last case of the Orthrus variant in Jakarta was discovered on February 9, 2023, based on the results of a PCR test. The patient has recovered, Ngabila informed.
“The first Orthrus case in Jakarta was detected on November 4, 2022, and that was the local transmission,” she explained.
Meanwhile, a positive case of the Kraken XBB.1.5 variant was first found in the capital on December 23, 2022. “It took 8-12 weeks for it to become dominant, but we see that the conditions are now under control,” Ngabila said.
She further claimed that COVID-19 in Jakarta was under control. Even though cases are rising, it is not accompanied by a significant hike in deaths and hospitalizations.
However, she continued, there must still be monitoring in the next two weeks as she suspected that Jakarta had passed the peak of the Kraken wave on February 13-19, 2023, given the people’s high immunity.
“[We] greatly appreciate the hard work of the Ministry of Health and all elements throughout Indonesia for accelerating vaccination,” Ngabila concluded.
Editor's Choice: New Omicron Subvariants among Potential Causes of COVID-19 Surge: Task Force
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News