Impossible to Stop High-Speed Rail Construction, Says Official Post Accident
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Transportation Ministry, to date, is awaiting the final investigation report from the National Transportation Safety Committee (KNKT) regarding the train accident that killed two foreign technicians after a construction train operated by the Jakarta-Bandung High-Speed rail (KCJB) derailed in the West Bandung railway section.
The Ministry’s director general of railways Risal Wasal said the investigation team is looking into the cause of the accident after the train involved had been evacuated from the site.
"How long [will the investigation last]? We hope it can be done quickly because it is for repairs. Concerning security, we ask for it to be quicker as construction must continue. It’s impossible to stop the project. In the near future hopefully [the investigation can be announced]," said Risal to journalists at the Gambir Station on December 22.
Coordinating Minister of Maritime Affairs and Investments Luhut Pandjaitan on Tuesday insisted that the accident happened due to human error. “It was a human error. Two workers from China [who died],” said the Minister as journalists met him at the corruption prevention event in Jakarta on December 20.
However, asked about the minister’s opinion Risal assures that it is best to wait for the final investigation report.
“What human error? The train? Be patient, we’ll just have to see [the report],” he said.
However, Risal ensured that so far the Ministry of Transportation had established standard operating procedures for all of its activities. Therefore, the Ministry will conduct an evaluation for the high-speed rail project that is categorized as a national strategic project (PSN).
MOH. KHORY ALFARIZI
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News