Another Aftershock of 2.8M in Cianjur Causes Panic
23 November 2022 14:50 WIB
TEMPO.CO, Cianjur - Yet another aftershock emerged following the destructive earthquake in Cianjur, West Java, at around 12 p.m. local time today, November 23, 2022, in Cibulakan Village, Cugenang District.
Volunteers and residents in the area who were taking shelter from the rain immediately rushed outdoors, running away from the building.
The Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) confirmed via its page that the aftershock occurred at 12:08 western Indonesian time (WIB). The agency detected its center in Warungkondang District with a magnitude of 2.8.
As of 7 p.m. today, the agency has recorded 161 aftershocks in Cianjur Regency. “The number of aftershocks recorded until November 23 at 07:00 WIB is 161,” said the agency’s head of the quake and tsunami center, Daryono, today.
He added, there had been no aftershocks since 05:24 WIB. The largest magnitude of the aftershocks was recorded at 4.2 and the smallest was 1.2.
“The frequency of aftershocks per six-hour period is getting rarer. Hopefully, it will be safe again soon,” Daryono said.
The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) reported that the Cianjur earthquake on Monday, November 21, killed 268 people and injured 1,083 people. At least 58,362 people were evacuated. Thousands of buildings were also heavily damaged.
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News