Two Indonesians Survive Seoul's Halloween Stampede: Embassy
30 October 2022 21:17 WIB
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Indonesian Embassy in Seoul confirmed on Sunday that two Indonesian citizens survived the Halloween stampede on Saturday evening but should be admitted to local hospitals for medical treatment.
The two Indonesians, only identified by their initials AR and CA, however, had been discharged from the hospitals after receiving the medical treatment, the embassy said in a statement on Sunday.
"AR has been discharged from Korea University's Anam Hospital on Sunday morning while CA who sustained a minor injury had left Seobuk Hospital, and returned home on Saturday evening," the embassy said.
The embassy further confirmed that none of Indonesians was among at least 153 people who got killed in the Halloween stampede that occurred in Seoul's popular nightclub district of Itaewon on Saturday evening.
The embassy, however, continued to coordinate with local authorities to obtain latest information on the victims.
According to Yonhap News Agency, the "sudden surge of Halloween crowds that instantly packed a narrow 4-meter-wide downhill alley in Itaewon District" killed at least 153 people and wounded 82 others.
Among the victims were 22 foreigners, including those from China, Iran, Norway and Uzbekistan, Yonhap said.
The Iranian Embassy in Seoul had confirmed the deaths of four Iranians in the Itaewon stampede, according to CNN.
South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol responded to the stampede that Yonhap recorded as the deadliest accident in South Korea since the sinking of the ferry Sewol in 2014 that killed 304 high-school students and others.
South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol walks at the scene where many people died and were injured in a stampede during a Halloween festival in Seoul, South Korea, October 30, 2022. REUTERS/ Heo Ran
As reported by the Korea Times, President Yoon Suk-yeol declared a period of national mourning from Sunday until Saturday in response to the Halloween crush that he said "truly tragic".
President Yoon Suk-yeol said the "tragedy and disaster should never have happened."
"As president, who is responsible for the people's lives and safety, my heart is heavy and I struggle to cope with my grief," he was quoted by the Korea Times as saying in a statement on Sunday.
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News