Students Continue to Protest Today as 'Act Against Regime's Betrayal'
30 September 2022 13:56 WIB
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The National Association of University Students Executive Bodies (BEM SI) is set to stage yet another demonstration to voice several problems in the administration of President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo. The protest will take place in the Horse Statue area near Monas Jakarta on Friday afternoon, September 30, 2022.
The University of Indonesia’s Students Executive Bodies (BEM UI) social-political coordinator, Melki Sedek Huang, said many problems have not been resolved by the regime.
“Tomorrow's action (today) is the beginning of our movement to fight the regime's betrayal of its obligation to solve many problems that the government does not want to solve, such as past human rights violations, KKN (corruption, collusion, and nepotism), RKUHP, and others,” said Melki in a written statement, Thursday, September 29, 2022.
Here are some of the problems to be highlighted in the students' rally today:
- The quick ratification of the Criminal Code bill (RKUHP), which they deem problematic while bills on indigenous peoples and the protection of domestic workers (PPRT) have not been ratified to date.
- Budget allocations that are not on target. The government revokes the fuel subsidy needed by the community but sped up non-urgent projects such as the new capital city IKN Nusantara, and hundreds of other national strategic projects that cost hundreds of trillions;
- Past human rights violations that have yet to be resolved by the government to date. The state instead allows the perpetrators to roam around and engage in politics and then forms a non-judicial settlement team that does not solve the problem.
- Corruption, collusion, and nepotism, that are eating away at the country on all sides without any meaningful eradication efforts.
- Education that is still not democratic and open to everyone. Moreover, the national education system bill harms education.
- The suppression of democracy through efforts to postpone elections and extend the term of the presidential office.
Today’s protest will be attended by students BEM UI, BEM Kema Unpad, BEM KM UGM, BEM SI BSJB area, ITL Trisakti, along with various other elements of civil society starting at 14:00 Jakarta time.
M. FAIZ ZAKI
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News