TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo officially signed Law No. 12 of 2022 concerning the crime of sexual violence or UU TPKS on Monday, May 9, 2022, and promulgated it on the same day. The law was thus enacted as it was passed by the House of Representatives (DPR) in the plenary session on April 12.
“This law shall come into force on the date of its promulgation,” as stated in Article 93 of the law published on the official website of the State Secretariat.
The law consists of 84 pages and 93 articles without attachments. Article 3 states that the law aims at preventing all forms of sexual violence; assisting, protecting, and helping the recovery of victims; carrying out law enforcement and rehabilitating perpetrators; creating an environment without sexual violence; and ensuring non-repetition of sexual violence.
Article 4 paragraph 1 outlines types of sexual violence as follows:
- non-physical sexual harassment;
- physical sexual harassment;
- forced contraception;
- forced sterilization;
- forced marriage;
- sexual torture;
- sexual exploitation;
- sexual slavery; and
- electronic-based sexual violence.
Additionally, Article 4 paragraph 2 stipulates other types of sexual violence:
- obscene acts;
- sexual intercourse with children, obscene acts against children, and/or sexual exploitation of children;
- indecencies committed without the victim's consent;
- child porn or porn with explicit contents of sexual violence and exploitation;
- forced prostitution;
- human trafficking for sexual exploitations;
- sexual violence in households;
- money laundering crime which is initially sexual violence crime; and
- Other sexual violence crimes mentioned in statutory provisions.
This law on sexual violence crime signed by Jokowi also regulates sanctions including imprisonment, fines, and aid funds for victims. The details of the law are accessible via State Secretariat’s page jdih.setneg.go.id.