Central Kalimantan Declares Emergency Response Status in Kapuas Flooding

Translator:

Editor:

Laila Afifa

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • Flood hits Mentaya Hulu village, Central Kalimantan, Monday, September 6, 2021. ANTARA/Chalisa

    Flood hits Mentaya Hulu village, Central Kalimantan, Monday, September 6, 2021. ANTARA/Chalisa

    TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Kapuas Regency Administration in Central Kalimantan Province declared a state of emergency in the flooding disaster. 

    "We've previously set disaster alert status and yesterday afternoon, the status was increased to disaster emergency response," said the head of Kapuas Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD), Panahatan Sinaga, Saturday, Nov. 20.

    The status declaration was set as 21 villages in six regencies in Kapuas have been inundated by the floodwater with the average height of 40-172 cm. This is caused by the medium to high intensity rains.

    The six regencies include, Kapuas Hulu, Mandau Talawang, Pasak Talawang, Central Kapuas, Timpah and Mantangai.

    The disaster has affected 3,013 families or 9,224 lives. In addition, 1,729 houses, 35 education facilities, 7 healthcare facilities, 33 houses of worships, 37 public facilities and 47 road accesses are submerged.

    The flood has been inundating Kapuas since November 9, until today. The high intensity rains have caused the Kapuas river to overflow, and then flooded several villages in the regions.

    "We call on all the Kapuas residents [to remain alert], the La Nina situation that has caused the flood is still ongoing and that it is predicted to occur until early 2022," Sinaga said.

    Through the increased of the status to emergency, the regional governtment and the disaster mitigation agency are hoped to be able to handle the situation and pay attention to the affected residents. Such as through the procurement of health facilities, logistical good.

    Read: Kalimantan Flooding Forces Evacuation of Over 450 People

    Antara


     

     

     


    More