TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Indonesian National Police Main Headquarters (Mabes Polri) provided its response on a story that went viral on social media recalling the harrowing story of rape against three children in the East Luwu region. Police claim that the case was not continued due to the lack of evidence.
The case came to light after a mother at East Luwu filed a police report on the alleged rape experienced by her three daughters who are all under the age of 10. She alleged her ex-husband and biological father of the three children as the perpetrator of the crime.
She felt that justice was not served after filing a police report against her ex-husband and her story eventually gained traction after it was reported by a website run by Project Multatuli.
Police spokesperson Brig. Gen. Rusdi Hartono said on Thursday, October 7, 2021,that the case was reported to the East Luwu Resort Police in 2019 and had been processed.
"The result of the initial investigation found that there were not enough pieces of evidence, which is why an investigation termination (SP3) warrant was produced," said Rusdi at his office in South Jakarta on October 7, 2021.
However, he insists that a case is not entirely stopped after an SP3 warrant is issued and said investigations can be opened again once police uncover new pieces of evidence.