TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Australian Department of Defense in its official website announced that the Indonesia government has accepted its offer to assist in the search of the Indonesian Navy’s missing submarine, KRI Nanggala-402.
Citing the Defense’s press statement on Friday, April 23, HMA Ships Ballarat and Sirius, had been deployed to separate regionals and were making best speed for the search area.
The Anzac Class frigate Ballarat, equipped with sonar capabilities and an embarked MH-60R helicopter, was expected to be in the search area today after transiting the Lombok Strait.
“The support ship Sirius is off the coast of Brunei and will be in the search area from around Tuesday. Sirius can replenish ships with fuel, water and stores by day and night,” the Australian Defense wrote.
Commander of Joint Task Force 635, Rear Admiral Mark Hammond AM, RAN, said the Australian Defence Force stands with its neighbour at this distressing time.
“My thoughts are with the submariners of KRI Nanggala, their families and the Indonesian people. As always, we stand ready to assist our fellow mariners in the Indonesian Navy.”
The Australian Defence Department said it would be in close contact with Indonesia to determine if Australia can provide further assistance.
Previously, Malaysia and Singapore governments deployed their rescue vessels to assist in the search for the KRI Nanggala-402 submarine which was reported missing on Wednesday, April 21. The submarine reportedly lost contact 60 miles from Bali waters.