Transportation Minister Yet to Release Homecoming Ban Regulation

Translator:

Editor:

Mahinda Arkyasa

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi, confirmed that he is yet to release a regulation concerning transportation control for the homecoming ban period of 2021. The regulation is still being promulgated with the Covid-19 Task Force, the Health Ministry, regional governments, and the Indonesian Army and the Police.

    "We are in the middle of drafting transportation control regulation involving multiple stakeholders," Budi Karya said on Monday, March 29, 2021.

    The government has banned homecoming during the Eid Al-Fitr period starting from May 6 until May 17, 2021. In drafting the technical regulation concerning the homecoming ban, the Transportation Ministry will refer to public perception survey conducted by the Research and Development Agency in cooperation with the Bandung Institute of Technology.

    The survey was taken part by 61,998 respondents, in which 89 percent stated that they will not conduct homecing while the remaining 11 percent said that they will conduct homecoming during the Eid Al-Fitr period nevertheless.

    It is estimated that the potential number of homecomers is around 27.6 million people. Meanwhile, the highest destination for homecoming according to the survey is Central Java with 37 percent, West Java 23 percent, and East Java with 14 percent. In addition to using the survey as point of reference, the Trnasportation Ministry also requested inputs from other stakeholders, including transportation observer, sosiologist, and other stakeholders.

    "The Transportation Ministry is always comittes to prevent the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic in all Indonesian region by issuing regulation and circular letter as transportation implementation guidelines and passenger travel requirements," Minister Budi Karya said.

    FRANSISCA CHRISTY ROSANA