TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Sleman Regional Disaster Mitigation Agency said residents had been evacuated in three evacuation posts following the eruption of Mount Merapi since Wednesday, January 27.
The agency’s head of emergency and logistics, Makwan, explained the first post was set in Purwobinangun. “145 residents of Turgo are evacuated to Purwobinangun located next to the village hall,” Makwan told Tempo on Thursday.
The second post was in Plosokerep accommodating one family or ten people from Umbulharjo and the other was in Glagaharjo filled with 41 people from Kalitengah Lor. Makwan said some of them had returned to their homes and five others were still in the site.
He explained that the evacuees were in good health. Several parties participated in helping the evacuation included the military, police, the search and rescue agency (Basarnas), and volunteers in order to meet the people’s needs in three evacuation posts. “They immediately open a public kitchen,” Makwan added.
Once the volcano activity was slowing down, evacuees could return home. Presently, Makwan said he was waiting for information from the Geological Disaster Technology Research and Development Center (BPPTKG) regarding the mountain status.