TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Not too long ago, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo ordered for the Labuan Bajo area in East Nusa Tenggara to be established as a premium class tourism site. This includes the Rinca Island - which is one of the natural habitats of the komodo dragons - to be subjected to a construction project that would make the area similar to that in the Hollywood movie Jurassic Park.
This project grabbed public attention after an image spread viral showing a komodo facing directly a construction truck carrying the project’s building materials. The backlash due to this viral photo mainly focuses on the fear that the ‘Jurassic Park’ project would threaten the existence of the protected wildlife.
The following are the facts related to the ambitious project:
- The infrastructure construction costs the government Rp69.9 billion.
- The Loh Buaya dock is subjected to construction that will see it broadened up to 400 square-meters.
- Infrastructure will include a two-meter-tall elevated deck that will connect the dock, information center, and 3,055 square-meter lodge for rangers, guides, and researchers.
- A 3,985 square-meter headquarter integrating the elevated deck, resort office, guest house, and cafeteria.
- PT Segara Komodo Lestari obtained a permit to supply the natural tourist site which includes transportation, adventure-style tourism, and accommodation in a 55-year contract.
The Komodo National Park management have temporarily closed the Rinca Island until June 31, 2021, during the construction of the tourism project by the Public Works and Housing MInistry.
ROBBY IRFANY | AVIT HIDAYAT