Jakarta Expands Covid-19 Burial Grounds in Pondok Rangon and Tegal Alur Cemetery
29 September 2020 16:50 WIB
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Jakarta's Bina Marga Office said Governor Anies Baswedan had ordered them to increase the burial grounds for people who died from Covid-19. The agency head Hari Nugroho claimed the land expansion had been completed in several cemeteries.
“One of them is at Pondok Rangon Public Cemetery,” said Hari on Tuesday, September 29, 2020. The burial grounds were expanded following the hike in deaths due to the coronavirus disease.
In the first phase from March to May, the agency created 7,141 square meters of land in Pondok Rangon Cemetery, East Jakarta. For the second phase from August to September, there were additional 6,150 square meters. Presently, the cemetery has 13,291 square meters of land as a Covid-19 burial site.
Bina Marga also opened new special burial grounds at Tegal Alur Public Cemetery, West Jakarta. “In Tegal Alur, there is an additional 2,000 square meters, and the process has been completed,” Hari said.
In addition, Bina Marga was preparing Rorotan Public Cemetery in North Jakarta as the new special burial site.
From March to September 25, 2020, Jakarta provincial administration recorded 6,248 people buried under the Covid-19 protocol. Of the number, 3,338 funerals were held at Pondok Rangon Cemetery, 2,145 funerals at Tegal Alur Cemetery, 274 dead patients were cremated, 264 dead patients were buried in the cemetery located outside the city, 126 were buried in private lands, and 51 were buried in another cemetery in Jakarta.
Read: Jakarta Prepares Rorotan Cemetery for Covid-19 Burial Ground