Jokowi to Pass Instruction on Sanction against COVID-19 Protocols

Translator:

Editor:

Petir Garda Bhwana

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • TEMPO.CO, JakartaPresident Joko "Jokowi" Widodo will immediately issue a presidential instruction or Inpres regarding sanctions for violators of the COVID-19 health protocol.

    Presidential Spokesperson for Legal Affairs Dini Purwono said the draft of the Inpres was nearly complete. “It is not signed yet, but the final draft is ready,” said Dini via a text message to Tempo on Tuesday, July 28, 2020.

    Previously, the Coordinating Minister for Human Development and Culture Muhadjir Effendy said the Inpres would order officials in all regions to punish people violating the basic health principles.

    According to Muhadjir, the application of sanctions was an effort to strengthen the protocols of physical distancing, mandatory use of face masks, and frequent handwashing with soap.

    “The government will strengthen the rules on health protocols by enforcing strict sanctions,” Muhadjir said in a written statement on Thursday, July 16, 2020.

    As of Tuesday, July 29, Indonesia has a total of 102,051 COVID-19 cases. Of the number, 60,539 patients have recovered and 4,901 patients died. The government was still monitoring 46,648 suspected cases.

    Read also: Jokowi Promises COVID-19 Mass Vaccination in 2021

    DEWI NURITA