TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - A spokesman for the Coordinating Minister for Maritime and Investment Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan, Jodi Mahardi, confirmed that 500 foreign workers from China would enter Southeast Sulawesi as they had permission from the Committee for Acceleration of Priority Infrastructure Delivery (KPPIP).
“[They will work] to complete several national strategic projects,” Jodi told Tempo on Wednesday, June 14. The Chinese workers will work on nickel smelter projects in the province's Morosi sub-district, Konawe regency.
Other than the KPPIP’s permits, Jodi said their arrivals were in line with the government regulation on the restriction of foreign workers during the Covid-19 pandemic. The Law and Human Rights Ministerial Regulation noted that foreign workers who will work on national strategic projects are allowed to enter Indonesia as long as they meet the requirements.
“For example, health requirements such as being in quarantine in the third country and region and in quarantine in Indonesia, and others,” Jodi added, hoping that their presence would support the completion of the projects.
Southeast Sulawesi Governor Ali Mazi, meanwhile, said he had also given permission for the Chinese workers to enter his region. Previously, he refused their entry due to concerns over the Covid-19 transmission.
Ali added that the provincial administration allowed their entry as it was in accordance with the regulation on strict health protocols and the central government’s policy. He had also held meetings with stakeholders regarding the matter.
“[This is] to support investment in Southeast Sulawesi. So our economy can recover after the Covid-19 pandemic,” the Governor said.
CAESAR AKBAR | ANTARA