People Insist on Mudik Will Face Rp100mn Fine: Govt

Translator:

Editor:

Laila Afifa

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • TEMPO.CO, JakartaThe Transportation Ministry was set to charge people violating the ban on Ramadan mass exodus or mudik with Rp100 million fine and one-year imprisonment at maximum as noted in the Law No. 6/2018 regarding Health Quarantine.

    “The sanction realization will be under the authority of the Traffic Police,” said Umar in a virtual press conference on Thursday, April 23.

    Umar added that the sanction could also be in the form of ticketing. However, he ensured it will be enacted in stages, starting from May 7 until the prohibition is lifted.

    For the initial stage, as the ban starts to be effective on April 24 until May 7, he explained, violators will only be asked to make a U-turn. “We will adopt a persuasive approach during the initial stage,” Umar said.

    The Transportation Ministry previously drafted the regulation on the mudik ban during the Eid al-Fitr holiday or Lebaran 2020 in an effort to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. The rule is stated in the Ministerial Decree No. 25/2020 which was issued on April 23, 2020.

    The policy noted the prohibition of passenger vehicles leaving the town and is valid for the sea, air, and land transportations, as well as private vehicles. It is planned to be effective until May 31, 2020, for land transports; June 1 for air transports; June 8 for sea transports; and June 14 for trains.

    FRANCISCA CHRISTY ROSANA